Monday, March 26, 2012

WORKROOM ORGANIZATION

I am often referred to as being "crafty".  If you're reading this, you probably are too!

To me, that sounds like someone who sits around crocheting pastel doilies, painting flowers on plastic pots, or making things out of toothpicks.

 I'd rather they say that I'm creative, or imaginative, or innovative, wouldn't you?  Thus, the subject of this post . . . workroom organization!  (It is not a craft room!)

So.  My workroom is loaded with lots of supplies and containers so that everything is always organized.

I like organized.

I have cubbies for the little few-of-a-kinds . . .

A glass-topped desk where I can store my some of my favorite books . . .
 
A place for odds and ends, my paper cutter, and stencils.
 Visual memories of back when my kids were small . . . and days in the classroom.  I did the cross stitch 33 years ago, while pregnant with my first born!  I remember walking through the fabric store with my mom and picking out that kit!  Where did all those years go?
Take a closer look at that framed piece I got from my students.  Even they knew that organization was important to me!  I used to remind them, during the time that was regularly set aside for desk cleaning in my classroom, that they would be much more productive if they were organized!  I have also raised two VERY organized young men who both happen to be VERY productive!  :)
Jars of often-used supplies right at my fingertips . . .
 buckets of ribbons etc . . .
bins full of stuff . . .


because you just never know . . .
baskets of threads and beading supplies . . .
boxes . . .
of course, piles . . .
and piles . . .

and more piles . . .

A place to store interesting papers . . .

(I just KNOW there are things waiting to be made out of those coffee sleeves and colorful bags!  When it comes to me - I'll be ready!)

A little whimsy . . .

that serves as a constant reminder that, one day soon, I need to take that step of faith with Miss Gillyflower . .
My trusty 50+ year old Kenmore . . .
And a nearby pouch of pre-wound bobbins . . .

Even my pin cushion is organized!
So now it's off to my workroom - one of my favorite places to be.  Today's project involves making something for a young mom I recently met.  Something that will serve as a welcome to her new home!

I'll show you the results tomorrow!






3 comments:

WrenSmart said...

Funny that you feel the same way I do about the whole 'crafty' thing! I've recently closed my retail shop and am in the process of making a 'studio' in my home. Sounds so much more serious than a craft room. Although with 5 grandchildren there will probably be some crafting going on in there too!

Laurel Stephens said...

I'm such a voyeur; I love seeing other people's work spaces and craft storage in every little detail. Thanks for sharing it! (The photography is wonderful.) I'm totally jealous of your 50 year-old sewing machine. They don't make them like that anymore! Oh, and I agree about the name. I have started calling my work space my studio, and so far, no one has rolled their eyes. : )

Grammy Goodwill said...

Life is funny. I read your post about perhaps stopping your blog, which I recently did. Then I read some of your previous posts before coming to this one. I cross-stitched the exact same picture when my children were small. (They'll be 31 and 34 in July.) Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I understand all the reasons you gave for stopping.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...