Monday, January 17, 2011

Paper roses and lampshades

It was a beautiful, snowy, January day in Wisconsin.
The snow fell all day long, nothing crazy, just soft and gentle.



I couldn't resist comparing today's view . . .

to the view from last August!
Anyway . . .
Our plan for today was to jazz up some lampshades with paper roses - just in time for Valentine's Day. They turned out just beautifully. Vellum, cardstock, and drawing paper . . . everyone had their favorite, each one is unique, and they all turned out so well! Here are some pictures of how the day progressed.
Supplies are ready!

To make the roses, you cut out a circle, then cut the circle into
a spiral. Then, starting at the outside of the spiral you just roll,
and roll, and roll, and roll!

It takes a while, but you end up with a pretty little ranunculus . . .

Which look a lot like the real thing!


Beautiful!

Jan made some beautiful hot pink roses out of cardstock.

Gwen made hers out of vellum.

And my ranunculi are made out of drawing paper.

My lamp before . . .

and after!
Such a fun, snowy day to create flowers and
memories with some very dear friends!










Here in Wisconsin, we need those little reminders that
spring is right around the corner - or so.
And here is Gwen with a surprise gift for me! She is a partner in
crime with a coming project since it was with her help that I was
able to get a very large and heavy treasure home from Goodwill
the other day. She knew I was going to be needing these. Now
I can't wait to get started!

Linking up with:


My Backyard Eden
<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>    

and
Faded Charm's White Wednesday


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your paper roses are gorgeous!! I love them on the lamp.

Kathy

Laura said...

Girl! Your garden is gorgeous (what flowers are those - lupines? Beautiful!), your blog is an inspiration, and the title made me laugh out loud when I stumbled upon it. My son-in-law, when he first started dating my daughter, made a comment about how us Adams girls never saw an item that we didn't say, "We could make that" when we saw it! I am a true believer! My house, and now my daughter's, is full of wonderful things that we have made after seeing an "inspiration piece" somewhere for a great deal more money than we had in our wallets, including platform beds & dressers with drawers, large-scale paintings, and sewn home-decor items (I have been a professional dressmaker for 30 years). Thanks for doing what you do!

Laura
http://cricutcard-iologist.blogspot.com

Riccobenes... said...

How do you get them to stay put after you roll them up?

Kelly said...

Oh my, I LOVE this! I've been scouring blogs for lampshade inspiration!

Kelly

Toronto Girl said...

Love it! Is there a particular kind of paper that you use?

Savannah Granny said...

Love the roses. They are clever and really pump up the lampshades. Hugs, Ginger

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Love your paper roses and the lamp shade is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

foreverdecorating said...

Oh my, these paper roses are so beautiful and dress a shade so wonderfully. I can't wait to see your surprise project...

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

You did a beautiful job on your lamp. It's am amazing transformation. The paper roses are so cute! Great job. Happy White Wednesday and thanks for the inspiration.
Lynn

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Hello "neighbor"...I'm here in MN :) Your roses look lovely...love all the different paper options. Think I'll have to try some too :) Take care, Laurel@chippingwithcharm

she dreams big! said...

Hi Nan!I've trying to follow your fantastic tutorial on paper roses and was wondering how you finished them off. The insides of mine want to fall out. I think I've rolled them as tight as I can. Book paper is not as thick as other paper, does that make a difference?

Any help would be appreciated, especially since this would be a great accent to a vintage wedding that is in my daughter's future!

Absolutely in love with your lampshade!

Connie

Dee in NC said...

What a great way to spend the day with friends! I love to make these flowers, but I never thought of sticking them on a lampshade. I see much merry-making in my future, and some decorated lampshades!

BTW - the way I keep mine together is to use a profuse amount of HOT GLUE. I lay down a big dollop of glue on the countertop, then stick the flower bottom into it and squish it a bit. Once the glue hardens, it will pop off the countertop. (PS - test it first!)

Idalina M.J DaSilva said...

January 1, 2021...

I was looking for something else and I tumble on your blog. very beautiful. I will be back for sure.

So sad we are not able to have friends over so I could spend a gorgeous day like this one you spend with your friends years ago.....

But I am a dreamer and a believer... I believe 2022 will be the big year we will all celebrate around the world. Then we all can get together with our friends and family. May the Universe and the Creator be with you. Happy New Year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...