Sunday, May 22, 2011

Graphics transfer to a table

The Graphics Fairy has so many wonderful old prints and engravings.  This was a copy of a Circa 1850 Paris print.  It's a delicately engraved frame with a laurel wreath embellished with lots of roses.  I had seen it several times on her site and wanted to find a way to use it.  
So, I decided to use it as the centerpiece on our kitchen table.  I could put a vase or other dish in the center and the painted design would still show.  When I add the leaf to the table I'll have to use a table runner since opening the table will split the design - but that's okay - when we need a larger table we usually go to the dining room anyway.   

When I printed it out, I set it at 300 times the actual image.  That stretches the design out so that it is quite a bit bigger than the original image, however, you have to tape all the "parts" together.  This time I used carbon paper to transfer the image to the table.  I didn't want the wreath to face only one way, so I split it horizontally right down the middle, flipped it, and painted the top half twice - kind of a mirror image.  
I used a pretty watered down dark and light gray to paint the design.  I was intentional in loosely painting the design and I'm still thinking about lightly sanding it to make it even more faint.

The design before the dark wax was applied.

The top of the table is painted with Behr's Moth Gray (flat, so that it will accept wax).  I used Minwax/Paste Finishing Wax/Dark.  The trim and base of the table are just a semi-gloss white.

Linked to:
Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy
and
Flaunt It Friday

19 comments:

Homeroad said...

Nan this is so fabulous I can't even speak! I love it, it looks so hand painted and flipping it around to do a mirror image was genius! I'd love to have a table like that in my house, great inspiration my friend!
Susan

molly susan strong said...

I have to copy tis one girlie! You do need to be able to paint to do this...not for the novice, I know. LOVE!!!

Heather said...

Love how your table turned out! I have been thinking of doing this to a coffee table...I sure hope I get around to it...because this is fabulous! Hugs! TFS...visiting from the Graphic's Fairy :-)

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

What a great idea...beautiful! Really adds a nice touch to your tabletop decor! :)
Cindy

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Wowwwww that turned out absolutely gorgeous!!!
What a wonderful idea!!
Thank you for sharing with us :)

xoxo
Lori

rachaelk said...

What a gorgeous table! Found your blog through The Graphic's Fairy and became a new follower!

:) Rachael
www.bella-raedesigns.blogspot.com

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh like this also...but I have painted all my tables, so I need to let my creative juice flow for another place to use this idea.

Enjoying visiting and getting ideas...I need to create more.

Tami / Maddie Lumpkin said...

Wow again! You have great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Can you please explain what you mean about using the carbon paper? Did you print the image on a certain type of paper? How did you get the image onto the table?

Many thanks!!

Lisa

Nan Burger said...

To answer Lisa's question -

I used just regular white printer paper to print out the design. It took 6 sheets. Then, to transfer the design to the table, I took 6 sheets of carbon paper (if you're under 30 years old, you might not remember this stuff - you can get it at an office supply store), lined them up the same way as the printed sheets - just make a "sandwich". First lay the carbon paper down (carbon side down), then lay the printed design on top of that. Then you just draw over the design and the pressure of the pencil goes down through the carbon paper, leaving the design on the table.

I hope this helps. If not, please email me at burger.nan@gmail.com and I'll try again. :)

Nan

Anonymous said...

Gotcha! Thanks so much for your reply!! I'm 31...just at the cusp of not remembering the carbon paper (I even used to do my homework on a typewriter!)

Cheers,

Lisa

Amy Chalmers said...

I love how your table came out! I think it is gorgeous.

Blue Creek Home said...

This is awesome. I love the graphic - love it!
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Beautiful & a fantastic idea! so you handpainted all of those fine lines?

Great work and thanks for detailing the steps for us!

http://junkernewbie.blogspot.com/

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I am loving this! I am a follower too! Come visit me at
dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

smokeysmom said...

OMG! Your new table is awesome! Love what you did with the original design; love the colors you used; it's just gorgeous! Lots of work, too, I'll bet. Good for you!! Kudos!

Lana Manis said...

Wow ~ this is beautiful! I may have to try something like this on a coffee table. Thanks for sharing!

ChristiGrace said...

C'est magnifique! I am working on stripping a small desk that I plan to refinish to use as a table /work place in the kitchen and this idea is stunning! I am thinking some vintage food or kitchen ad!

Veronica said...

Love love love this! So pretty!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...