Saturday, October 29, 2016


Maybe you saw this post from several weeks ago?  

My $30 kitchen island is now finished and in use.  So shop those used furniture stores for repurposing ideas.  Thirty dollars sure beats the lowest price kitchen islands that start at around $500 and are often veneered particle board and flimsy.  I did remove the veneered top on this piece, and the rest is solid wood with a dovetailed drawer and solid wood decorative trim.  So it's very heavy and stays in place perfectly.

Mgirl, Iris, wanted to be in the photo to show her approval.  
She suggests a bowl of doggie treats on the bottom shelf.  

Also pictured are some 123 year old corbels manufactured by George Poppert.  They were originally blue and white - you can see the matching ceiling to the pavilion he designed for the Chicago 1893 World's Fair here.  Thanks to my brother, Doug, for getting those heavy things in place for me!

Here's the previously posted process . . . 

 This dresser was at Habitat for Humanity's RESTORE for only $15.  This one is already perfect counter height and about 45 inches wide which will work well for 2 stools once the extension is added.  I've already pulled out the drawers in this picture - not sure if I'm going to use them or not.    

Next, I started to take off the veneer.  It took some doing to get down to the bottom of the veneer layer.  


I found that going over a wet towel with a hot, steamy iron, loosened up the glue nicely.  Then I could use a scraper to get under the veneer and little by little, pull it up.

The beautiful wood under the veneer is exposed.

The back and the shelves that the drawers rested on were old and musty smelling, so I pried off the old backing and slid the shelves out.

Now to put on some new backing, shelving, and an extension to the top using wood corbels. 

Then I'll decide if I want to use the original drawers, some wire and wicker baskets, or a combination of both, for storage.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016


Everything is falling into place - just like it was made to be!  Today I'm sharing my latest project - a new dining table.  The base and apron are from a kit I ordered from and the top was made from 5 pine planks.  You can save a lot of money by putting the top together yourself.
(Table top from - $890   Your table top of pine - $30)

After heavily sanding each plank to soft edges, I dry-brushed on 
some turqouise  . . .

. . . and a little olive green in a very random, patchy manner.

After the paint was dry, walnut stain went over the whole table top.  Then paste wax.

The top is secured to some perpendicular 4" boards to prevent 
warping and keep them level with one another, then secured to the base with 
wood screws.  Last of all, the base was painted off-white and paste wax 
applied over all parts of the table for sheen and protection.

Now, for a dinner party!


Saturday, October 15, 2016


My small watercolor, "Mother's Day", was ordered as an enlargement for a baby's nursery and today I received a photo of the framed enlargement.  The original is 5" x 6", but the print is a large 16" x 20".  I love my buyer's choice of barn board for the frame - how appropriate!  

The original and prints of "Mother's Day" can be purchased here.  Most originals in my shop can also be purchased as prints.

Thank you, Jessica, for sending the photo of the framed print!  
I'm thrilled that it's on your little one's nursery wall!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...