Thursday, January 20, 2011

Grain Sack Runner, French Cache Pot, and a Lesson

Busy working on one of these. It's a gift for a really sweet friend. These are my inspiration pieces. You can find grain sack runners on many of the blogs, but these are some of my favorites. Soon, I hope to have finished my own version of a grain sack table runner. I'm checking around to see if I should line it or not. I wish they would show the back side of the runners so I'd know what to do! I think unlined is a little more authentic.




Ruffled or plain? Monogram? Stripe? Stenciled design?
I hope to have the finished product done by Friday night - since it needs to be pressed and wrapped by Saturday morning! I guess I'm putting up this post to to commit to having it done by then!

2 hours later . . .

This is really a pretty quick project. I made the runner the length of her table plus two inches, so the ruffle would hang nicely. I just rolled a quarter inch once, then once again for the hem on either side of the runner. Then I used some creme colored damask for the ruffle, twice the width of the runner. I did decide to go with unlined. After sewing a ruffle on each end, I did a zig-zag stitch on the seam to keep it from fraying with use. Then I was ready to stencil. I ordered the stencil from Maison de Stencils.   It was a little pricey but I figure I can get my money's worth out of them in no time.


I used masking tape to keep the stencil in place before I started painting. I knew I should try out the stencil on a piece of scrap fabric first, so that I could troubleshoot on something other than the finished runner. However, I am not known for my patience, so I forged ahead and started stenciling right on the runner. I was lucky. It worked just fine. I used a dark brown acrylic paint. Now, before I wrap it, I'll need to set the paint with a hot, dry iron - then spray it with fabric protector.


This isn't a stencil brush, but it's close enough. It's a large,
round, flat-bottomed brush that's pretty stiff.


I had to try it out on my table to see what it would look like.
And now I need to make one for myself!


Along with the table runner, I'm wrapping up a "French" clay pot. I was so excited to get
started on this one that I forgot to take before pictures. Can't believe I did that, but you'll
just have to believe it started out with a glossy red glaze.

Kind of like this . . . it's the closest I could find to the before "look". Ugly.

The red was horrible but I loved the shape of the pot. The inside of the pot is raw clay. I painted the outside with white acrylic paint using a brush to get a little more texture, and left the inside as raw clay. After two coats, I glued on the French chocolate label that I found on The Graphics Fairy, then rubbed some Old English Scratch Cover over the whole thing. The label had been printed on off-white card stock. I was a little worried that the stain would obliterate the details on the label, but it just made the label look old and worn. Then a coat of Matte Mod Podge for protection and it's done!




Since the label is for chocolates, I filled it up with the same! It could also be used to
hold silverware on a buffet table, a fresh bouquet of flowers for a centerpiece, or a potted plant.




Ready to wrap with no time to spare - the birthday
luncheon is about 12 hours from now! Time for bed.

Saturday afternoon:

And, now for the lesson! Assuming your friends don't check your blog very often, is a mistake! I thought I was safe. But, unbeknownst to me, Pam had looked at this blog post . . . several times . . . and she had seen the progression of this gift all along the way! That'll teach me to be more patient with my posts! Anyway, there was no surprise when she opened her package today and saw her table runner and cache pot. We did have a wonderful day, and it all made for a good laugh - and a lesson. Happy Birthday, Pam!






This project is linked up with:


and
My Backyard Eden
and
We Did It Wednesday @ Sewmuchado.blogspot.com

and

Funky Junk Interiors!

and

Faded Charm Cottage's White Wednesday

15 comments:

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

I love table runners too. Yours turned out absolutely beautiful! I love the big ruffle and the stencil you chose.

Jacquie said...

I saw these on Etsy too! I love them. Figuring this out has been on my "to do" list for awhile now. Thank you for sharing.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love this- I love the grain sack look too- this is beautiful! Love the ruffle and stencil-well done! :)

Robyn @ ItsRobyn.com said...

Wow, I'm nearly speechless. Both projects are so lovely. Your friend is very lucky.

~ Robyn

Kristin said...

You did such a wonderful job on that grain sack runner! I love how you softened the runner with a ruffle too; very creative!

Homeroad said...

Thanks for stopping by Nan and good luck with your craft room! I know I collected things in my basement for a long time before I had an actual room.
Susan

Megan Gunyan said...

That is so cool! I love the stencil and the vase (?) is wonderful! Great job.
I hope you can join my link party! Each entry leaves you eligible to win $130 from CSN Stores.com. alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Anne said...

Wow! Both the runner and the pot are so delightful! Definitely love the ruffle.

Kym said...

That is an amazing table runner..I love it. I think I might have to steal your idea...thanks for sharing ~ Kym

KimMalk said...

How nice, and it looks like a really straight forward project. I really like the stencil - I have been wanting to get one from that website. I think you will get your money's worth. Blessings, Kim

Unknown said...

My first reaction was "ooohh, I love the red," but I'm assuming it didn't photograph well since you thought it was ugly. :-}
Your transformation made me think again, however, and I fell in love. The chocolates helped! Nice work on both projects.

the old white house said...

That is beautiful! Your stenciling looks very authentic and the ruffle is a sweet touch, Lucky friend! Theresa xoxo

Laurie said...

Hi Nan! GREAT projects; you make it all look so easy! This was the b'day lunch (I mean Honor Society) meeting that I missed... so it's fun to see Pam's "surprise" here. Beautiful site; Beautiful you!

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Those are just beautiful!!
Oh my goodness I love them!
Can you tell me what you use for fabric protector?
Thank you for showing us :)

xoxo
Lori

Decorating Ideas said...

I love the stencil that you added! DIVINE!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...