Tuesday, February 7, 2012

LOVING WORDS, A HEART, AND A CLOCHE

"A flower cannot bloom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love." -Max Muller

Loving words for a holiday that's all about love.

Here's how that quote came into my house today . . .

The last time I was at Anthropologie I saw this plate - close to $30 for just one plate.  A bit too much for me, but still, a really great idea.  

So I thought - if you can write on a plate, then you can write on glass.  So, you could probably write on glass in any shape.  Like a cloche.  So I took some painter's tape and put it on my cloche, all the way around and about 4 inches from the bottom.  I wanted the writing to appear just above the pedestal I have inside.

(I was sure I took a picture of this, but, 
oh no.  Lo and behold, it does not exist)

Moving along . . . now that the tape was in place, I could write my quote in a straight line.  I just took my Sharpie and wrote it out.  I changed the lettering every few words, and not because it would look good.  It's just a little harder to distinguish irregularities in your handwriting if you do this.  Besides, it's more fun to read that way!
For the top of the pedestal, I used a circular frame I found on the Graphics Fairy.
You could also use some old sheet music that would fit the holiday.

 Inside the cloche, I planted a cutting from one of my African Violets.  You're supposed to use just half of a leaf for a cutting, but Martha Stewart showed some that were cut into hearts!  How "not boring" for a cutting! Perfect for Valentine's Day!
 Boring, old fashioned cutting 
Fun to look at and watch grow cutting

  Which one would YOU rather look at for 3 months until it becomes a plant?  Exactly.

 So, there you have it!  A cloche all dressed up for Valentine's Day!
 And when the holiday is over, have no fear.
Just put a little nail polish remover on a cotton ball and the writing comes right off!


So go find your favorite love quote, and dress up your cloche for Valentine's Day!




2 comments:

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

I love the look of this. I also love that you can take it off when you're done. Looks so pretty with your birds. Would be delighted for you to link up with us at Mop It Up Mondays (going on through Friday): http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html

{HUGS},
kristi

Jennifer Leible said...

What a lovely idea! I hate my handwriting so I might have to borrow my sister's hand, but I'm definitely keeping this idea in mind! Your cloche looks fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...