Monday, December 12, 2011

MY DAD and 52 WEEKS OF MAIL

I recently saw this great idea on Etsy.  
52 WEEKS OF MAIL!
With almost all communication going by way of the email these days, the old fashioned art of a handwritten letter has gone by the wayside.  I think Christmas would be the perfect time to resurrect it.  Nothing beats opening up your mailbox and seeing the handwriting of your favorite people on an envelope.  You can go back to it again and again and relive the connection with that person.  Emails are flying back and forth between people every day, but holding the same piece of paper that a loved one actually held and sealed with a message meant just for you is something I miss.  

Some of my favorite saved letters are from my Dad.  He would have turned 86 years old tomorrow, but for almost 16 years now, the letters are the closest thing I have to being with him.  Probably more than anyone, my dad was the one who encouraged my creativity.  He would have loved Norma, and reading about the things I'm making, on this blog.  Most of his letters were not very long, but they were always full of loving and affectionate thoughts and encouragement.   



So, in memory of a great Dad (and letter writer) I'm going to give "52 Weeks of Mail" a try.  Maybe one of you will give it a try too!  Even for people living in the same town you do - there's nothing like getting a letter.  Email accounts are great, but there's nothing like an actual piece of paper a good friend, a son or daughter, or especially a loved mom or dad hand wrote a message on - just for you!
YOU COULD MAKE THAT!
(someone's day, that is!)




1 comment:

Susanne said...

Love this idea and love the way your Dad signed his name, Dad-e-o! Proof he was a fun guy!

I tried to get my 'out of town' son to write letters to his 'in town' girlfriend, just such a great keepsake. They text and talk all day long. Very different from when my husband and I were dating and could only afford one phone call a week, ha! He did send me a Christmas card, so maybe there's hope.

I want to make more of an effort to write letters, thanks for the push, Susanne.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...