Saturday, March 12, 2011

Kanzashi (Japanese Folded Flowers)

The heartbreaking disaster underway in Japan is the 'inspiration' for this post.  As I saw the devastation played again and again throughout the day, I thought of all we have gained through the creativity of these people. The Kanzashi is just one of their many traditional crafts.  They have been crafted from wood, metal, tortoiseshell and silk, and are considered collectibles.  The Kanzashi were first worn by Japanese women as hair ornaments.  Today, they are still worn as hair ornaments, but usually by Japanese brides.  There is also a current trend by young, Japanese women to wear them as an elegant decoration on a business suit.  

I know I speak for many when I express my deep sadness at what the Japanese people are facing.   I can't even begin to imagine what this will do to their future, the future of their country, and the world.  I do know that they are in the prayers of many around the world tonight, as they are in mine.



  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...