A couple days ago I started in earnest on these two pieces of furniture.
The blue piece is now white and I like it so much better. It makes the whole room softer. The chair, however, is deep into a complicated surgery. I think it's chances are good. When I got the chair (remember, it was only $9.99!) there was no back cushion, but I think there probably was at one time. Because there are no marks in the back, it was probably a loose cushion. Like the lilac print cushion below - just bigger. These are such great french bergere chairs!
So, first . . .
. . . I pulled all the upholstery off the chair, took the box cushion apart, and painted a turquoise color here and there on the frame. That way, when I painted it white and then distressed it, some of the blue would show through. I'll have some close-ups of that when I get it all waxed.
Now the frame is painted and the rest is in the raw. I have some ideas about what I want to do with the seat cushion, arm pads, and back cushion. This is going to be a fun project!
The cushion is "down and grey goose feathers". I knew I would feel better if I cleaned it, so after googling around I felt pretty safe washing it and putting it in the dryer with a few clean tennis shoes. It turned out beautifully - nice, full, and fluffy.
I'll be covering it in this beautiful, nubby linen.
So, here's the hutch!
So, much better!
Now, to the sewing machine to work on my chair!