Friday, August 19, 2011

A BAG AND A PAINTING

Check out these really unique bags from Anthropologie.  
I'd really like to make one!  
Anthropologie is always such a great place for inspiration and this is just one more great idea!  Put a copy of a painting or photo onto fabric, then make it into a bag!  Here are a couple from Anthro's website:

Still Life Bag, Teapot, $398
 Barn Clutch, $298
(This is so unique - it would be almost impossible
 for anyone to have one just like yours!)
Windowsill, $498

But those prices!!!!!

So . . . I got to thinking!  

I COULD MAKE THAT AND SO COULD YOU!

I have some paintings and I've taken photos of them.  Why not make my own bag for a whole lot less than $295-$495!!  All you need is an ink jet printer, some transfer artist paper, and some basic sewing skills (or a purchased plain canvas bag from Joann Fabrics)

I'll use TAP (Transfer Artist Paper) to put a photo of my artwork onto fabric.  You can find "TAP" at Michaels or online.  The great thing about this transfer paper is that it doesn't leave a shiny surface after being ironed onto your fabric - it looks like it's been silk-screened on.  You can also iron your image onto other surfaces - such as paper, wood, glass, and metal.  The fabric can then be washed, folded, and stitched, and the image won't crack or fade.

So, there's one weekend project.  Saturday is supposed to be a rainy day.
Perfect!

3 comments:

Shannon @ DoveNest28 said...

Great idea, love the inspiration, but who could pay that price? Can't wait to see what you come up with, I have a painting in mind already to use, and I can get handles from a bag from a thrift store.

fromhousetohome said...

Great idea and which one of your amazing paintings are you going to use? I'll be checking back tomorrow to see how it turned out!!

Veronica said...

Great idea!!My goodness but those are expensive bags - so worth making your own. Love the idea of using your own painting- so personal! Great gift! Looking forward to seeing yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...