Friday, June 26, 2020

ABSTRACT RADISHES ON THE POTTING BENCH

Earlier this spring I made a potting bench out of 2x4's and cedar pickets.  I also added 4 corbels to support a shelf on either side. The corbels had been in my basement for about 5 years - finally put to good use!   
Once the piece was built, I used a homemade stain made of vinegar and steel wool. Fill a jar halfway with white vinegar, add a torn up very fine steel wool pad, and let it sit for a few days.  The vinegar breaks down the steel wool into rusty bits and when applied to wood, affects the tanin, which causes a weathered look I love. 

The bench is 2' deep and 6 ' long.  It has already been so usefull for transplanting things, arranging flowers, and getting vegetables ready to bring inside.  A couple days ago I pulled a big bundle of radishes and rinsed them and trimmed them right here to keep the mess out of the kitchen.


That very bundle of radishes became a playful little radish abstract this morning.  Not my usual style but sometimes for me it's all about color.  And it's fun to play around with different mediums and styles.  



The unframed print of Abstract Radishes is available on my Etsy shop, here:   https://www.etsy.com/shop/gillyflowercottage/.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...