Tuesday, July 1, 2014

THE BUSINESS OF CHILDHOOD

What is the business of childhood?  Discovery through books, play, and nature SHOULD be the business of childhood - especially in the summertime!

 I am so thankful I grew up in the 50s when technology meant a phone attached to the wall and one tv in the house that was black and white for the first 5 years of my life.  Things were so much simpler. We made our own fun in the neighborhood, playing outside - and books played a large part of my days. Having a mom who was such an avid reader, I learned to treasure books myself.  Summer meant long walks to the library to check out the 10 allowed books, a long trek home, and then a blanket in the backyard with my new pile strewn around me.  I remember this being a long walk - so I looked up the distance, just to see if it was just another mirage of childhood.  
Lo, and behold, it WAS a trek for a little girl - just shy of a mile.

Inspired by the beautiful summer days we've been having, I've been reminiscing by doing some little 4 x 9 inch watercolor paintings that include quotes from a few of my favorite books of childhood.  
These paintings can be found in my Etsy shop, Gillyflower Cottage.


The Secret Garden
Francis Hodgson Burnett
(I remember reading in my classroom during "library time")


Winnie the Pooh
A. A. Milne
(Below is a photo of my mother's old Pooh book, now in MY library!)




 I love the inside cover of her book.  It has a charming little map of Pooh's neighborhood and wanderings.   And on the right is my mom's signed bookplate.


"The Swing", from A Child's Garden of Verses
Robert Louis Stevenson
(I LOVED this collection of poems and memorized this one as a little girl!)


Now, on to my last two favorites to make a set of five - Little Women and Little Ballerina . . .











No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...