Tuesday, September 27, 2011

SO MUCH MORE THAN PUMPKINS

What a fun night - and it was about so much more than just making a fall craft.  My willing participants are a group of friends I've had for almost 30 years.  We had a great time making these pumpkins, encouraging each other along as we talked about our day, our families, and in some cases, stories from long ago.  We met when our kids were preschoolers and now those same kids are adults, about the same age we were when we first met. 
One of the songs we listened to while stitching away . . .
I'm sure lyrics like this helped with the reminiscing . . . "children get older . . . I'm getting older too".

Here are some photos of this rainy, fall night all nestled in with a pile of burlap, some thread, some sticks, and some wonderful, "old" friends!
 Ready and waiting!




Sometimes just a simple night with old friends, who know everything about you and love you anyway, is the best kind of night there is!


A complete tutorial for these pumpkins can be found on Martha Stewart's website where she used linen, silk, and velvet.  So, I may not be done making pumpkins . . .

Sharing this on Faded Charm's:
WHITE WEDNESDAY
and
THE LETTERED COTTAGE

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see I need to move to Milwaukee!!

DSV said...

I would have loved to have been a student in one of your grade school classes .....you come up with the neatest stuff.

(...and I should have bought stock in burlap knowing everything you've been making with the stuff lately)

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

They are beautiful!!!

Kim Klassen said...

oh i adore this idea!! wonderful!!

Reunion Committee said...

Super super cute!
Tana

Mandy said...

How fun for you all. They turned out so cute! I'm having my BFF's over next week. Haven't decided what we'll make yet. Perhaps we'll do these.
Thanks for sharing.

Brandy Layton said...

I just found you today and can't believe we never met before! I love everything I have seen so far. My mom is the only one that calls me Nan. P.S. DSV I couldn't agree more...teachers like this were my favorite!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Nan, for a cozy-fun evening!
Love,
Laurie

Nan Burger said...

You are welcome, Laurie! I'm already thinking of ideas for our next craft night get-together! -Nan

Kathy said...

I am a first time visitor and I can tell I will be back. Great DIY, the pumpkins look terrific and so reasonable to make. Great fall look, Drop by my blog for a visit. Burlap is our friend. Kathy

patbarina said...

They were so much fun to make Nan! A craft project that is low stress and something you really want to put out at home! Wonderful evening. Thanks Nan!

Nan Burger said...

It was such a fun night, Pat! Thank YOU for being willing to come out on a chilly, rainy, weeknight to make pumpkins!! You guys are GREAT!

Jessica @ FourGenerationsOneRoof said...

I love burlap anything! So simple and pretty :) visiting from Lettered Cottage

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I love these! What a great way to spend the night with old friends!

Cannot wait to see the front porch!

Veronica said...

These turned out beautifully! Love the sticks - they add to that lovely natural quality of the pumpkins. Sounds like a fun evening!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pumpkins! Thanks for sharing, visiting from The Lettered Cottage.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...