Monday, August 15, 2011

A NEW RECIPE AND A CORSAGE

All summer, people have been asking me, "So, how does it feel to be retired?"  I never knew how to answer because I ALWAYS had a summer!  Not only that, but I'm not really old enough to "retire".  (just had to get that in!)  But, anyway, this is the first day I really feel "retired" from teaching.  The school staff begins their week of meetings today.

AND I WON'T BE THERE!
(Being a teacher, I feel as if I'm really getting away with something by starting my sentences with a conjunction.  Therefore, I'm planning on doing it all the time now!  Because I can.)


So, what will I do with my first real day of retirement?  First of all I made just a little something out of some of that burlap I was talking about in yesterday's post.  And I do mean little.  This will not even begin to make a dent in all that burlap!  But, this is the sort of little thing that you just don't have time for when you're getting a classroom ready for a new year.  This is the sort of thing that goes on the back burner and usually never gets done.   So, what is it?  A corsage, of course!   Women sometimes wear a corsage to commemorate a special day and this IS a special day!

I followed a super easy little "frayed flower tutorial" at Maize Hutton's blog.  First, I cut a strip of burlap.  Then for contrast I cut a strip of fine tulle.  In the center I put a button from my collection that was handed down from my Great Aunt Pearl!  So, this is my own version of a flower brooch to wear today as I celebrate my freedom!

Then, speaking of "burners" - one of my missions now is to become a better cook.  So, I'll also be making a new recipe for dinner tonight: 
MARSALA CHICKEN WITH SAGE AND CREMINI MUSHROOMS.
So, I'm off to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients.
(Complete with fabric flower brooch clipped on my sweater!)
It's going to be a great day!


4 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Time to start enjoying your retirement. Love the burlap flower, and that chicken looks yummy.

Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Good for you!! Your flower is beautiful. Bon Appetite. :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Congratulations on the first day of the rest of your life! I retired 2 years ago (I am not retirement age, I had to get that in too) I had so many projects the first year that I did not really get in the groove of not working for a year....Oh life is wonderful, your flower is gorgeous and I bet dinner was great!

Carol

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you found me so I could find you, great blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...