Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A FEW MORE TOUCHES ON THE PINK GUEST ROOM

A very dear friend is coming to visit in a week, and the pink guest room is her room when she's here.  Jan comes to Wisconsin every July to get away from the Texas heat for a few days.  (Remember the McKinney posts from last winter?  That's where I head in February to get away from our snow and cold!)  Well, this room used to have two twin beds and now has a queen, so the lighting needed to change.  So, I went to Goodwill and found two lamps that are similar.  They're close enough for me, and they were only $3.99 each!  You can't beat that!  I bet that "tole painting" looked great in the 80s!
The pattern on the lamps would have to go, and I've read that, as well as working for exterior pieces,  Annie Sloan Chalk Paint can stick to practically everything, so I gave it a shot.  


 Drying . . . it looks a little shiny because it's still slightly wet.  It dries very quickly though and I painted outside on a breezy day, so it kind of globbed up a bit.  But then, the wax . . .
Not too much difference - the left one has wax and the right one doesn't have it yet.  It just gives the base a warmer color and a little sheen.  I actually like the way the paint "globbing" a bit gave the surface a nubbly look - kind of like plaster.
Add two $7 shades from Target - and for $22 I have two great lamps for the guest room!
The difference in the height of the lamps is solved with a couple books under the shorter one.  I'm still thinking about doing something from the Graphics Fairy on the lamps.  Too plain?
All ready for Jan's visit!  
(You see the lamp on the right though?  The darker part of the base near the top??  THAT is going to bug me and I'll have to paint it too.)

Two lamps - going from this                             . . . to this, for only $22!

Isn't Goodwill grand?!?!

-Nan

4 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

Your room looks great. Hope you have a nice visit.

fromhousetohome said...

7 days and counting!!!! I can't wait to read at night by the new lights!! They look GREAT!!!

Veronica said...

Lovely! Your guests are sure to feel right at home!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Resourceful and pretty! How can you go wrong?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...