Saturday, March 12, 2011

From old windows to old-looking mirrors . . .

I have two old windows that I love.  I purchased one of them at an antique store and the other at a resale shop.  They've been propped in different rooms of the house for years, and look great just the way they are.  Then, along came Krylon's Looking Glass Paint.  I love this stuff!  However, I couldn't find it anywhere in Milwaukee.  Plenty of places carry Krylon paint, but none of them had heard of "Looking Glass".  So I ordered it on Amazon for $10. 
It has arrived!

Krylon Looking Glass Paint claims to be able to transform plain glass into a mirror.  I've been waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I could use it outside with some good ventilation.  Well, the high today is 38 degrees and I figured that's going to have to be warm enough because I'm out of patience in the weather department.  So . . . the directions say to lightly spray the glass and let it dry about a minute, then repeat five times.   Here are my results.  
Before . . .
and after.

   
Before . . .
    
and after.

Okay, you might be thinking, "Doesn't she have anything better to do on a Saturday morning?"  The change is not that drastic, but I think it's just enough to make a difference.  It's still an old window, but now it's been transformed into a room-expanding mirror with a time-worn look.  I like the depth the windows have now.  

Well, I have a little list going today - so it's off to project #2!

This project is linked up with Furniture Feature Friday.

3 comments:

JacquieRae said...

I love that you tried it Nan and shared something new! I've never heard of this paint. I think it has a beautiful vintage look and it turned out great. An aside from another project you shared - I finally bought a stencil from your source and I'm going to make that French inspired table runner this week :0)

Junker Newbie Stephanie said...

I used the same thing on two old windows I have. There used to be mirror "paint" available that came in 2 cans (2 step process) and it looked/worked better but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

lara said...

Nan! I love that! thanks for showing that I didnt' know about it either. weather here in McKinney is warm enough but too windy, maybe tomorrow have two pieces to do

YOU COULD MAKE THAT IS ON FACEBOOK!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...