Friday, November 19, 2010

Horchow again!

While driving through my neighborhood I noticed
a rummage sale that looked like it had some interesting things -
so I pulled in.
Here was a little "cupboard" type thing
that was stained dark brown.
They were asking only $12!
I painted it "Lambs Wool" (Behr)
- a creamy white that is my favorite.
And that was that - done! It stayed that way
for quite a while.


Then, just recently, I was looking through my new Horchow catalog and
saw these beautiful turquoise pieces, one with a crackle finish
and some hand painted details. Beautiful!

"Monique" Chest

Hand-Painted Wood Cabinet

I had heard that
you can use Elmer's Glue to create a nice
crackle finish. I knew it would be a terrible mess
if it didn't work, but I decided to give it a try.
Here's how I did it:

1. Paint a base color - I used tan. (let it dry)
2. "Paint" on a thick, globby coat of plain old Elmer's Glue (let it dry just until a little tacky)
3. Next, paint it with your favorite color (I used "Birch Forest")
4. Now, be patient and wait for it to crackle as it begins to dry.



It was amazing! As it dried, the crackle finish started to become more and more
apparent! The final finish was exactly what I'd been hoping for!

SAVINGS - $560.00


This project is linked up with
The Power of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
and
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday


3 comments:

Amanda Lee said...

This is fantastic! I'm absolutely loving this!
~Amanda

Sonny G said...

Now thats B E A U T F U L.. I like yours way better than the horchow piece..
I would love to do my table bottom and chairs in that color. Not sure I wanna crackle then though:)..
I'll do a search for the birch forest paint...
thanks for sharing this amazing piece with us.

xoxoxoxo
Sonny

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, Nan! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? The link is at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-042411.html.
Thank you so much :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...